Saturday, May 26, 2012


Opening Reception: June 16th - 6-8pm 
Heidelberg Project
******
Show Statement
October 29th 2011 I moved my life to a city of Soul that sang to mine so clearly.  Suddenly, I was hearing very explicit messages about my life and its purposes, as the Motor City was the keeper of these secrets…(Go figure!).  A few days into my first footings here, I remember coming to grips with the fact that I officially and honestly believed in something far greater than myself.  And through a sequence of events that I can only understand as acts of magic, I found myself residing at the Iron St. lofts, where 2,275 miles from where I grew up, I finally understood the concept of a Promise Land

Prior to my chance happenings upon this legendary land, I had a funny little hobby of photographing men in their bathtubs equipped with their most sacred belongings.  The project had been on a bit of a standstill until I suddenly found myself overwhelmingly surrounded by all of these righteously talented people.  The classic urban landscapes and architectural decay of Detroit is enough to keep a photographer excited and satisfied for a lifetime.  But it’s the people energy interacting with the age and wisdom of these industrial remnants that tell the story of our city and inspire me most.  Detroit is a city of beautiful souls.  And so it only made sense that I pick up Men in Tubs again… and sure enough, the testosterone of the D elevated this work beyond my wildest imaginings. 

Woven Muses is a visual ode to an awesomely funky haven for authentic, beautiful creators.  Situated on and energized by the flow of our city’s great waterway, there is a calm here that keeps us all imagining.  In its unique little pocket, the community on Iron St. is coexisting, co-creating, and working toward making big dreams come true.  I wanted the visions of our home to come from the eyes and souls beyond just mine, as it’s the collaborative perspective that makes this place so powerful.  So I distributed 6 disposable cameras to 6 artists in the building and here we have it: an interwoven tribute to a dynamic, supportive community with exponential potential for creative vision and growth. 

And so I ask us all to continue dreaming BIG, imagining out loud and putting into action:

What we can really do with all of this collective goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment